The Trials and Tribulations of Max E Pad

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Ignorant Assholes

So this morning, as I was happily walking to get breakfast with my coworker, Frances, we were accosted by a dirty black guy asking us for change. Here's how the conversation went:

Black Dude: "Do you have some spare change"

Me: "No"

Black Dude: "Do you speak English?"

Me: "WHAT?!"

Black Dude: "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?" (all loud)

ME: "FUCK YOU, yes!"

Black Dude: "You should go back to your own country."

Before I had a chance to speak
Frances: "Why don't you go get a job; you're the one asking for change, ASSHOLE."

End Scene.

I find this scenario hilarious but very irritatingly familiar because ever since I came to DC 6 years ago, I have been accosted many times with unsolicited comments, usually presumptions about my sexuality often times based on how I am dressed and, unsurprisingly, they have all been from black people, or African Americans, if you want to be PC. Though I have many presumptions about black people (growing up in a predominantly Asian household, it's hard not to have been instilled without certain prejudices especially when those judgments are confirmed daily either on your nightly 10 o'clock news or in your every day New York Times), I do not feel the need to shout out "nigger" or "welfare recipient" 0r "theif" every time one crosses my path; I save those for my weekly KKK meetings (kidding).

It used to bother me because I don't say anything back out of fear, but in recently months, my mouth has a mind of its own and it simply can't stand that kind of injustice. Perfect example for which I am totally proud of:

Scenario - downstairs in the Metro at Tenleytown after a day of shopping by myself

Black Dude (with his girlfriend): "Faggot"

Me: "I'm sorry, what the fuck did you just say?"

Black Dude: "You heard me"

Me: "Yes, but I prefer you say it to my face like a man"

Black Dude: "Faggot"

Me: "Well, unlike you, at least my mother didn't raise me on food stamps and welfare checks."

Metro doors open, and I give him the finger.

End Scene.

I hate ignorant people.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home