The Trials and Tribulations of Max E Pad

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sensual Association

I think it is quite interesting how our brain interprets each of our five senses; mainly, I am fascinated by my brain's association ability when it comes to my sense of smell.

I noticed that before I head over to my cologne counter each morning that, based on what I am wearing that day, I will have an exact idea of which cologne to pick. This morning, I thought about it more and more and realized that there is a common theme for each of my colognes and it's not as random as I thought.

For example - For my everyday, going to work, chino-and-button-down-shirt outfits, I immediate go for my Calvin Klein Eternity; however, if I go the chic and sophisticated route for work, then I aim for my Vera Wang. During the weekends that I go grocery shopping, a quiet stroll around the community or just anything sporty, I pick Hugo Boss.
And on the rare occassions that I do step out and attend a social event, I either go with the Man de Rocha or my Issey Miyake; clubbing and bar-hopping nights always point to my Jean Paul Gaultier.

So, as you can see, I am very specific about my cologn, but just why is that? Do I associate the scent with the outfit or do I link more of the brand to the social event? Or both? I think I may have gotten this from my mother. Growing up, her vanity is filled with more than 50 or 60 bottles of perfume, every single one lined up and dusted immaculately to showoff each display bottle. At first, I thought she liked them because of the bottle designs, but with time, I began to notice that the perfumes she wears has a pattern. For example, when she goes to work, she usually wears Elizabeth Arden's Red Door or True Love. When she attends social events and galas, she would wear her Chanel No. 5 or No. 19 and on regular shopping trips, I think Opium or Tresor by Lancome , but that I'm not sure because that depends largely on her moods, and trust me, she has many, many moods like the phases of the moon.

And now, I can see a large resemblance in my sister; she's at the age now where she cares deeply how she looks, smells...etc. and her perfume collection, in turn, is expanding exponentially.

So just what is it about our olfactory perception that plays such a huge part in our decision making, not to mention triggering certain memories? I think it is amazing what our five senses are capable of.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home