The Trials and Tribulations of Max E Pad

Monday, September 11, 2006

The Spirit of New York and the American people...

Shall Prevail.

In recently weeks, I have been rudely accosted with images, sound bytes and video clips of that one faithful day in American history when many dreams shattered, families torn apart and Patriotism restored - and the day that all of us have etched in our hearts forever is September 11th, 2001.

I was growing increasingly frustrated and upset by these constant reminders of this unfortunate event and working at the Associated Press makes escaping these imagery a task close to impossible to achieve. "After 5 years, we're still dwindling on this bullshit," I thought to myself. Insensitive? Yes, to say the least; I was numb. I became almost indifferent because no matter where I turned, haunting images were everywhere.

But on the day of the anniversary, my heart re-opened. I realize that I was trying to forget what had happened to my beloved city, my home. I was trying to wish that it had never happened and if there are no reminders of the event, then, perhaps, I can close my eyes and say to myself, "It was only a dream." But on this day, I realize that these images were not rude relics of so many lives lost, but symbol of hope and faith. Like a Phoenix born from the ashes of destruction, so are the spirits of the American people. We are more united than we have ever been since WWII, and we have not been stronger, individually and collectively. We believe in the American ways, and each and everyone of us alive on this day celebrates Democracy with ever burning fervor. From that one faithful day, we learned that we are blessed.

To all those who lost someone, our hearts and prayers go out to you and your families. God Bless all of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home