The Trials and Tribulations of Max E Pad

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Giving Blood

Being charitable these days is not as easy or as PC as you may think.

About two Sundays ago, Jonathan and I awoke to a warm, bright morning with the gentle morning breeze tickling our noses. We got up, had breakfast, and watched "Everyday Italian" and "Barefoot Contessa", our weekend ritual. We were exceptionally happy that day because of the event to follow - we were giving blood, or I was anyway. I have been giving blood for some time now, but since moving to Maryland, I haven't had the time or the energy to move my ass to a clinic. However, just luck would have it, our community was hosting a Blood Drive by the American Red Cross.

So happily, Jonathan and I strolled down to the mobile clinic around noon. This is where the obnoxiousness kicked in. Everything was fine until I walked into mobile trailer and the "doctor" walked me into her "office" which is just a standard bus bathroom without the toilet seats; it smelled just as bad; I think it was the black people hair grease in her hair that suggested the faint smell of bodily excretion from days of not washing. We sat there and I had to complete a verbal questionaire while she inputs it in her computer.

Everything was going smoothly until we got to question number 22 where it asked me if "I am a male and had sexual contact with another male since 1975". Of course, I said yes, being honest and then that was it, I was "indefinitely rejected": I wasn't allowed to give blood, because I'm gay. As if that wasn't frustrating enough, she proceeded on asking me if I was "biologically male"...okay...that was the last straw...

WHAT THE FUCK does she mean if I'm "biologically male"? Do I fuckin' look like one of those nasty, unGodly post-op transexuals? What THE fuck??? That little nigglet has a lot of nerves asking me if I'm "biologically male" when she, herself, looks like a crack baby with down-syndrome hooked on some crack cocaine and did her makeup in the dark! Her eyes weren't even straight with one looking at the ground and another one eyeing the ceiling. That little snot-nose, welfare receipiant had the AUDACITY to accuse me of being a tranny. How dare that coke-whore! I mean really?! It's bad enough that I was unable to give blood when there is a shortage of blood supply around, not to mention I have one of the rarest of blood forms, but she has to go and insult me like that? Medical or not, that question is complete bullshit; it wasn't even on the questionaire.

Well, that was my gripe with the bitch (an ugly bitch, mightI add), but now, oward to the problem I have with this policy. I just don't understand it. Are we [homosexuals] not being disrespected enough that homophobia has to extend to charitable causes as well? I know where the underlining fear comes from, but I dont' see it and I dont' agree with it. Our blood is as healthy as the next person, straight or gay, and not just gay people get AIDS, common street whores too, so perhaps we should ban rich, white, american men from donating as well? Should we ban African Americans from donating as well seeing how the AIDS virus did orignate from Africa and, I believe, 1 in every 15 Africans have AIDS?

I just don't understand it; it's not right. Hell, at least let me save my own blood for when I need it. I'll be damned if I have to suffer because of stupid, ignorant policies like this one.

1 Comments:

  • this is a situation where in 30 years or 100 years, students will read textbooks (hologram 3D interactive versions of course) and will ask each other, "HOW COULD THIS HAVE BEEN A POLICY!? It is so blantantly wrong and discriminatory." Just like how we felt when reading about slavery, or lack of due process. I apologize on behalf of the ugly, bitchy, self-righteous, hair-greased workers of america to you.

    By Blogger Jeanne, at 1:20 PM, April 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home